Permanent exhibits include the Fourth Ward School building, a historical overview of the Comstock, a Comstock mining overview including an interactive modern mining program funded by the Commission of Mineral Resources, abandoned mine issues, an original 1870’s classroom, Virginia City Alumni photographs and memorabilia, timeline of Mark Twain, letter press printing and Sagebrush journalists and type slingers. A new exhibit is featured each season.
Changing Gallery: The Comstock Through Time
The Comstock Through Time highlights specific themes in the history of the Comstock through photographs and personal accounts. Then and now photographs, also known as rephotography help to emphasize the changes in the community and surrounding area. Books, journal entries and oral histories gives the visitor a first hand account of daily life, revealing vivid details and descriptions of the sometimes chaotic life on the Comstock.
“The First Ward School accommodated the first through third grades. Mrs. Quirk was a beautiful little lady – very prompt, petite and a great teacher… The first day of school she would pull out this razor strap that looked about five feet long and give us a little lecture on discipline. Then she would put the strap away in her desk, and we never saw it again for the rest of the year.”– William Marks, UNR Oral History interview, 1984.