“History Inside & Out”
Greetings from the Historic Fourth Ward School Museum, a majestic four-story 1876 schoolhouse in Virginia City, NV. It was originally built as a “monument to education” and this aim continues today as a museum that tells the rich history of the Comstock Lode mining region to visitors from around the world.
As the Museum sets our sites on the new year, there are a few key projects we’re working to implement to take care of our historic 1876 building as well as its historic legacy.
We need your support to help bring these important projects to fruition. We’re seeking support for:
Building Maintenance Needs
- Our building’s North Side is in need of restoration. The last major restoration of this part of the building was over twenty years ago and the elements have taken their toll on the paint and wood. This will be the final phase of our recent exterior restoration efforts which began in 2020 (and have been successful in part due to donations from supporters like you).
- The hill on which our parking lot sits needs to be stabilized to prevent potential damage to our building or gas tank.
Historic Tour Guide Program
- We are asking for your support to train and hire passionate & engaging guides to interpret our exhibits and educate guests about the true history of the Comstock.
- Historic Tour Guides for regular museum visitors on select days
- Historic Tour Guides for group tours, special guests, and media visits
- Historic Tour Guides for field trips and class visits
Our goal is to raise $15,000 by December 31st, 2023 to help fund these essential building stewardship and historic education programs at the Historic Fourth Ward School Museum.
That’s why I’m asking you to contribute to our end-of-year “Inside & Out” fundraising drive today. Your donation will help empower our efforts to share the relevance of The Comstock’s history with worldwide visitors and our local community for years to come.
Thank you for joining us as a steward of the Historic Fourth Ward School Museum.
The Historic Fourth Ward School Foundation is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation formed and operating in the State of Nevada and registered with Nevada Secretary of State (Federal Tax ID# 88-0463462). Our purpose and mission is to connect people to the relevance and importance of the Comstock Story through its authentic preservation, interpretive Exhibits and programs, and archival resources. Your donation may be tax deductible pursuant to the provisions of section 170 © of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, 26 U.S.C. § 170(c).